Since the first Model T rolled off Henry Ford’s production line in 1908, Americans have had a complicated yet enduring attachment to their cars. The model T Ford was first produced as a means of transportation, but it soon took on a much broader role. American pride was invested in a car, and the car became a cultural icon in the years to follow.
A car represents both a financial, functional, and emotional investment. Americans have invested as much emotion as they have money in their cars and American cars say as much about their owners as their owners do about them. This may explain why we, as car owners, are often fixated on how the car runs and its appearance.
The car customization industry on a global level is experiencing exponential growth, and it is expected to generate a revenue of 62.92 million dollars from 2022 to 2027, and there will be over 7.9 million people customizing their cars by year’s end.
This article will give readers a general overview of the car customization process, the industry as a whole and even reveal some car customization industry secrets.
What Is Car Detailing And Customizing?
Many people think that car detailing and customizing are the same thing, when in fact, they are significantly different. Car detailing is an activity that deals with the car’s appearance, whereas customizing deals with the car’s appearance, mechanics, and performance. Detailing your car will involve intricate details, such as cleaning and polishing down to the minutest detail. Customizing your car will involve altering, tweaking, or replacing the engine or car body to enhance performance and appearance.
Car detailing, as the name suggests, will focus on changing or enhancing specific cosmetic details of a car’s exterior body, interior, or engine appearance. Ordinarily, car detailing will not involve mechanical elements. The car washing and detailing market size in America will be approximately $14.7 billion by the end of 2022.
Ways To Customize Your Car
Your car represents a financial and emotional investment, and this knowledge motivates people to customize their cars. Customization of a car can take many forms, including interior and exterior modifications. Listed here are some of the most common modifications/customizations.
Audio and Video Customization
The first audio device to appear in cars was a car radio installed by an Australian company named Kelly’s Motors in 1924. The original radios were bulky and expensive, and installing one in your car was considered a luxury customization.
In today’s environment, audio and visual are combined. The customization will include high-definition flat-screen monitors mounted at a high vantage point or individual monitors mounted in the back of seats. The audio component will involve the placement of special speakers such as high-range tweeters, mid-range, and various types of woofers. The audio-visual system is usually one of the first car mods undertaken by car owners.
Car Exterior Customization
Customizing your car’s exterior can involve many factors, but the main one is the paint job. There are three main reasons why car owners will get a customized paint job, and these are: to make their car stand out, to make its appearance reflect their taste, and to increase the car’s resale value.
Customized Wheels and Tires
One of the standard car mods undergone by millions of Americans is customizing the wheels and tires of cars. Wheels are one of the exterior parts of a car that are immediately noticeable and are easily customized. People customize their tires mainly because they want a specific look and to portray a particular image.
There are several ways you can customize your wheels to draw attention to your car, including:
- Increasing the size and width of the wheel.
- Installing colorful, attention-getting rims.
- Installing rims that feature a specific design.
- Using a different rim finish, choosing from steel, alloy, or chrome.
- Using a wider tire with a different tread pattern.
Another common way of customizing your car is to modify the exhaust system. Car owners customize their exhaust systems for several reasons, including:
- To change the sound of their car’s engine.
- To improve engine performance by increasing airflow.
- To improve their car’s fuel economy.
- To alter the looks of their car.
- To decrease carbon monoxide output.
When it comes to engines, it’s all about performance and looks. Many car enthusiasts will tell you not only does an engine have to perform well, but it also has to look good while doing it. Therefore, the various engine customizing techniques will typically involve performance enhancement and appearance.
Here are some of the more common engine customizations:
- Cam Covers – The camshaft covers are sprayed with temperature-resistant paint to make them stand out in the engine bay. Another option commonly used is to “powder coat” the cam covers. The powder coating process involves spraying a powder on the cam cover and heating it.
- Wire Tucking – One common engine customization strictly dedicated to appearance is wire tucking. As the name suggests, wire tucking involves tucking the wires away, so they are out of sight. This gives the engine bay a more spacious and clean appearance.
- Silicone Hoses – Silicone hoses are commonly used car mods because they offer increased functionality and aesthetic appeal. Silicone hoses can replace the traditional rubber hoses attached to your car’s engine. Silicone hoses come in a wide variety of different colors and are less prone to cracking or degrading.
- Fine Tuning – One customization that is all about performance enhancement rather than aesthetic appeal is fine-tuning. When an engine is finely tuned, the purpose is to improve the engine’s capacity to produce horsepower and torque, a smoother performance, and improved fuel efficiency.
Detailing and customizing a car may benefit your car’s overall appearance and performance. While detailing is all about the car’s looks, customization also includes adding modifications to the vehicle to make it look and perform better than its stock features.
When it comes to car customization, it’s all about a combination of performance enhancement and appearance. Customizing your car will increase its performance, its aesthetic appeal and help make it a direct reflection of your personality. In terms of performance, the customizing will involve the engine and making modifications that increase the engine’s overall performance, including higher horsepower and torque, smoother engine performance, and improved fuel efficiency. In terms of aesthetics, customization will involve the car’s exterior body and the engine’s exterior.
For auto body repairs, paint jobs, and detailing, trust the best – trust Northwest Collision Center!
If you want your car to look its best, you should veer toward the experts like Northwest Collision Center, the top auto body shop in St. Petersburg, FL. Here at Northwest Collision Center, we have fully qualified teams with years of experience repairing damaged cars. We realize that for many people their car is a prized possession and when it gets damaged it is important that you entrust the repairs to an experienced and professional auto body repair shop like Northwest Collision Center. If your car has been damaged contact us and let us restore it to its original pristine condition.