When in an accident and you need to be towed to an auto body repair shop, your mind might not be in the right state of mind. You could be taken advantage of and the result is you paying thousands of dollars more than you should. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, unsuspecting people lose billions of dollars to towing companies due to scams.
Here are some tips to help you avoid the very worst mistakes when it comes to towing companies:
- * When you get into a car accident, you are in a state of panic and you may let the small details slip your mind.
- * Never give your permission to any tow company that shows up without any notice and is soliciting. When you agree to have a company tow your car, you agree to any of their policies and fees—including expensive fees higher than what your insurance policy can pay for
- * Always follow the law enforcement officer’s directions should there be one at the accident area
- * Never give out your insurance information out to any towing company
- * Make sure that all documentation matches
- * Ask for identification from the towing company and driver
- * If the police are not at the scene and you feel that something is very wrong or you have feelings of suspicion, call the police right away
Everyone wants a piece of the money pie and the towing business is not excluded from this. Follow these few pointers and you might just be able to save a few dollars in your pocket. Remember to stay calm and be alert of your surroundings. There are always people in the world looking to take advantage of someone and you don’t want to be that someone. Remember, if you’re having your car towed, follow these pointers.