Electric cars, also called electric vehicles, are a type of vehicle that is propelled by electric motors. As the name suggests, this type of car does not use gasoline; it uses electrical energy instead. For that reason, electric vehicles are much safer for the environment compared to gasoline-powered ones.
With that being said, electric cars have become one of the most talked-about innovations in today’s technology. More and more people are showing interest in purchasing one. If you are one of these individuals, here are some facts about electric cars that you probably didn’t know before:
1. The first electric vehicle was manufactured in 1884.
The first electric car was created by a British inventor named Thomas Parker. Thomas Parker always had a talent for creating different things, and making an electric car with rechargeable batteries is one of the biggest of his achievements. One of his goals was to have more eco-friendly vehicles.
2. During the 19th century and early 20th century, electric vehicles were the most famous automobile.
During the 19th century and early 20th century, electric vehicles were more widely known than gasoline-powered cars. Within those years, people thought that electric vehicles were more convenient to use. However, gasoline-powered vehicles with new and improved engines stole the spotlight later.
3. Electric vehicles are heavier than gasoline-powered ones.
One of the most interesting facts about electric cars is that they are 20% to 30% heavier than gasoline-powered cars. That is because they have massive batteries needed for the storage of energy.
4. There are six types of electric vehicles.
One of the things to know about electric cars is that there is more than one type. They are divided into six models.
- Battery Electric Vehicles – This type of electric vehicle is a pure electric vehicle. Meaning, it does not need an internal combustion engine as a source of propulsion.
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles – This type of electric vehicle is a hybrid since it has an internal combustion engine and rechargeable batteries.The user can charge it by plugging it into an electric power source.
- Hybrid Electric Vehicles – Another type of electric vehicle is a hybrid. Hybrid electric cars also use both an internal combustion engine and rechargeable batteries.The user can charge it through regenerative brakes, which convert kinetic energy into electrical energy.
- Extended-Range Electric Vehicles – This type is another mostly electric vehicle that does not rely on fuels to be propelled. However, it does have a small internal combustion engine to provide extra energy if needed.
- Neighborhood Electric Vehicles – This type is also a pure electric vehicle with a limited speed that does not exceed 25 miles per hour. This model can be charged through an external electric power source and clean energy such as wind and solar.
- Non-Road Electric Vehicles – As its name implies, this type of electric vehicle is not usually seen on roads. One good example is a tractor.
5. Electric vehicles require less maintenance cost.
With the higher upfront cost of electric cars, people might automatically assume that their maintenance cost is also higher. However, that is not true. Electric vehicles are known to have fewer parts compared to gasoline-powered cars. With fewer parts, it is much easier and less expensive to maintain.
6. Tesla Roadster covers the longest range in one charging.
One of the most impressive electric vehicles in the world currently is the Tesla Roadster; it can be fully charged within four hours and can be set for up to 80% of its battery in just half an hour.
What makes it more interesting is that it can cover the most extended range despite its short charging time. It is known to cover a distance of 240 miles in just one charging, and this distance is approximately twice the distance that can be covered by other electric vehicles.
7. It is possible to power a house using an electric car.
Another interesting fact about electric vehicles is that you can use them to power your own house if you have the right equipment. Their rechargeable batteries can be used as a power source.
If you want, you can also use it as a source of electricity for various outdoor activities such as picnics, parties, and many more.
Since electric vehicles are considered eco-friendly, advantageous, and beneficial, more and more people are interested. Moreover, the number of electric cars on the road is expected to increase as technology advances.
If you ever need trusted auto body repair shops in St. Petersburg, FL, check us out at Northwest Collision Center. We provide high-quality services for electric vehicles and will gladly assist you with your needs. What are you waiting for? Contact us now!